There are significant differences in today’s job market between college graduates and their parents.
Recent graduates are now expected to switch jobs an average of four times during their first decade out of college, according to a LinkedIn study.
Moreover, the Institute for the Future predicts over 85% of the jobs in 2030 that today’s college students will hold have yet to be invented.
Due to constant evolutions in the job market, students are required to spend their college years developing a skill set that enables them to succeed in a variety of careers and industries. Further, students need to acquire the career development skills necessary for the job search process so they will stand out to recruiters – not only when they graduate, but also during the inevitable transitions throughout their careers.
You Can Get an Advantage on the Job Market by Having These 7 Attributes
As reported by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) analyzing the job outlook for 2020; the internship and cooperative education report for 2019; and the Recruiting Benchmarks Survey for 2018.
- Internship at the organization you are applying to.
- An internship within the industry.
- Selected Major
- Leadership experience
- Work experience in general
- Extracurricular activities (clubs, sports, student government, etc.)
- A high GPA (at least 3.0)
With over 20 years of experience, Gemsight College and Career Planners has provided individualized, one-to-one, high quality educational counseling to students in high school, college, and post-college. In response to the growing number of our families who have asked us to support their students as they enter the job market, we now have an experienced career consultant on staff to help meet those needs.
During their college years, we provide our students with the following advice on how to make the most of their time and money:
- Advice regarding the selection of a college major and extracurricular activities that are aligned with their career interests;
- Creating a personalized career action plan for locating relevant internships and experiences;
- Training in lifelong career development skills, including networking, interviewing, and resume writing.